I'm taking a theater class this semester, which is something completely new for me since I'd much rather sequence DNA than interpret a play, but it has actually been a great opportunity. I've read a few plays by Federico Garcia Lorca, in all my 8 years of Spanish classes, and I'd always learned his life story but felt so far removed from it. For those of you who are not familiar with Lorca, he was from Granada and was, obviously, a famous playwright, and he was also homosexual. At the beginning of the Spanish Civil War (1936), Franco had Lorca assessinated for being homosexual, and the town of Granada has mourned him ever since. He is an excellent playwright and I've always enjoyed his work, but learning about him never really did much for me. In my theater class we recently read his play, Bodas de Sangre (Blood Wedding), and this past weekend we went to see the play in a theater in Granada. How amazing to see a play by Lorca in his hometown in SPAIN! It made me feel more connected to him and his life story, and made me further appreciate this opportunity
In other news, I went on a daytrip to a nearby beach town called Almuñécar. It was gorgeous! The views of the beach and mountains were breathtaking. Being landlocked most of the year, seeing an ocean (or sea, in this case) always leaves me speechless. My friend and I had a picnic on the beach and stared into the horizon for hours. We also hiked up a cliff to see a 4th century castle, which was pretty cool. I attached a picture of myself on the beach, so you can all know what I mean by amazing views :)
Hasta luego!
No comments:
Post a Comment