Friday, February 20, 2009

Sierra Nevada


Last weekend I took a trip to the Sierra Nevada National Park. A bunch of the people in my program were skiing for the day, so we took the bus as far up on the mountain as we could to find snow. Once we got to the ski town up there, we found a lift that would take us all the way to the top of the mountain. It was hands down, one of the most beautiful views I've ever seen- we could see the whole city of Granada and for miles beyond it. Numerous meet of snow covered the top of the mountain, but it was probably 60 degrees up there. I'd never taken a ski lift before and figured I never would because they look so open and scary, but I was so glad to have the opportunity to ride one. We stayed for a while at the top of the mountain, quietly admiring the view. One thing we noticed was how silent it was at the top of a snow covered mountain. There wasn't a single car, siren, scream, person talking, or animal around, and any sound we made was instantly absorbed by the snow surrounding us. Even though I live in a quiet suburb and go to school in a tiny town, I still had never experienced such silence. It was so calming to sit there, not hearing a thing and looking out across miles of Spanish countryside. That was one of those rare moments in life that I will probably always remember.

1 comment:

  1. gotta try skiing sometime. the silence is breathtaking

    love u

    ReplyDelete